How to use Thick Cast? Step by step tutorial for resin art beginners
by Jai Jain on Oct 13, 2022
Seen those wonderful flowers casted in a table or varmala flowers casted in a clock? Seen simply a resin river table and could not stop admiring its beauty? Well, if you have been wanting to create one for yourself, Thick cast resin system is what you need. Here is a detailed step by step tutorial on how to use Thick Cast by Pourfect, covering basics such as mixing ratio, pot life, cure time and a few samples of creations made using Thick Cast by Pourfect.
For anyone starting out in the world of resin art, remember that every resin art pack you buy will have two parts - 1) Resin and 2) Hardener
Resin and hardener are mixed in a certain ratio specified by the manufacturer.
Let's look at the steps -
1) MEASURE - Mixing ratio for resin and hardener for this system is 3:1, meaning for every 1 part of hardener that you take, you must take 3 parts of resin. Hence, the pack sizes are all in multiples of 4 - check HERE.
Example - if you want a total mix of 200 gm for your artwork, then you would take - 200 divided by 4 = 50 gm of hardener and, resin = hardener x 3 = 50 x 3 = 150 gm of resin. Here we have - 150 gm of resin + 50 gm of hardener = 200 gm of total mix
2) MIX - Do not get lazy, mix it well. Scrape those sides and bottom of mixing cup, do not let even a bit of it unmixed. You laze now, you suffer later. So, mix it well, buddy.
3) POUR - Now it's time to use the casting resin. Get your memories ready in form of flowers, photos, shells, other items. Make sure the items are free of moisture. Place them in your artwork as you may like, remember no dust particles enter the artwork during this process. You really don't want to cast a dust particle along with your favorite memories, do you?!
Remember here - since it is THICK CAST, you have ~4 hours for this step - meaning it's pot life is ~4 hours. After that, it will start to gel and become thicker.
Another important point to note is thickness of one single pour should ideally be between 0.5 - 2 inches.
4) WAIT - It becomes touch dry in 12 hours, you can overcoat the same after 24 hours and it gets cured to handle in 2 days. Remember that it gets fully cured internally in about a week depending on temperature levels and thickness of your pour.
5) DEMOLD - You can demold your artwork. You will have your beautiful artwork ready.
We have also uploaded a video tutorial for the same, scroll below to find the link. Here are some creations made using Thick Cast
You can also watch a video tutorial for the same RIGHT HERE
If you are a beginner looking to experiment with resin art, then we recommend you to go for ART RESIN and try the same in smaller molds just to get a feel of how the entire experience is.
Learn more about how to use ART RESIN >